Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Burning Gum Leaves and Super Giant 45s





Direct Download

Well, I had a tough day at the rat races today. I worked very hard and came home a tad stressed. After a nice meal I decided it was time to put on some tunes and unwind. Being the nice guy I am, I recorded it for you all.

Vangelis - Love Theme From “Bladerunner”
Cpen – African Jack (JT Donaldson mute pass)
Moodymann - …during soundcheck
The Voltaire Brothers featuring Mick Collins – Which One (Mahogani Music)
Crusaders – Carnival of the night
Lamont Dozier – Out Here On My Own
Simple Minds – Love Song/This Earth That You Walk Upon
Café Crème – Dreaming (from Once Upon a Time in America Soundtrack?)
(Monkman) Intersong – Des Irae
Jean Beauvoir – Feel The Heat (From Stallone – Cobra soundtrack)
Mike Oldfield – Guilty (Mushroom)
Simple Minds – Love Song
Giorgio Moroder with Phillip Oakey – Together in Electric Dreams (Extended)
The New Marketts – Song From Mash (M. Altman J.Mandel) [7 Records]
Pointer Sisters – Happiness (Allen Toussaint)

I am not too sure why I put the George Benson record in the picture, it was not played. So just disregard that. This is a disclaimer for all you trainspotters out there. ;)

Discogs - Vangelis - Themes - I have had this LP for a while but never really sat down to give it some proper attention. When I had a listen to the flip, the first track really struck me. It is one of the most romantic tracks I have ever heard. I am still not sure what emotion it has flamed up inside of me. My spine was definately tingling! I will have to get around to watching bladerunner this weekend, for the first time. Lets hope the movie is just as good as the score. This track really grabbed me and the mix is titled Burning Gum Leaves as a Tribute to the Score. Why? Well because my copy sounds like there are gum leaves burning in the background.

Discogs - Cpen - African Jack Remixes - The sax in the Vangelis Score got my blood flowing so much I decided to follow it up with another great sax track but this time from a new record. This Cpen release back from 2008 really brings the classic deep sound back. I enjoyed this release, thanks Cpen. Who said house had to be boring!

Discogs - Moody* - Anotha Black Sunday - Moodymann's latest album. I still prefer - Discogs - Det.riot '67 - This has been my favourite recent release from Moody, however he still kills it on this LP and nothing can be faulted. A great modern artist with an even better attitude- forget what everyone else thinks and just do what makes you happy. His rants sound very similar to those of Omar S, there must be something in the water in Detroit.

Finally, a quick word on the cover art has to be made. It is truly awesome. Moodymann's vinyl only releases coupled with his quircky attitude and artwork really appeals to his fanbase. Good on him for providing his fans something different in a faceless digital distribution system.

Discogs - Voltaire Brothers, The* Featuring Mick Collins Which One - Again playing hommage to Moodymann and the Mahogani music label.

Discogs - Crusaders* - Street Life - A great Funk/Jazz LP with lots of groove and swing. Serious music that will get the party jamming!

This mix features bits of Leftfield, Future Jazz, Disco and Rock from the late 70's and 80s. Most of them are the ones titled 12 inch singles or Super Giant 45's in the photo. I will give you a discogs link of some below, description wise I will try my best. But, as this is the first time I have really played these records I do not know which one is which. Is the Mike Oldfield record the mellow cosmic track or the italo sounding record? Who knows! I know it as the record with the red label that has a Super Giant 45 cover, ahaha.

Discogs - Mike Oldfield - Guilty

Discogs - New Marketts, The* - Song From M*A*S*H - A nice 70s disco tune. The MASH theme makes it sound, well, a little bit cheesy. However, it features a wicked disco instrumental. My copy is actually an Australian pressing on 7Records which was made in Australia in 1978. I could not find it on Discogs.

Discogs - Dies Irae / March To The Scaffold - This is the Prog Rock number.

Discogs - Café Crème - Unlimited Citations - Am I going crazy? Or, is this track on the "Once Upon A Time in America" soundtrack? I have heard something very similar to this on that movie. This record really got me thinking on how much I want that soundtrack. And, even more, the Bloodsport Soundtrack. Discogs - Paul Hertzog - Bloodsport - Original Soundtrack. WHO HAS IT? This is definately on top of my 'to find list'.

Discogs - Various - Cobra (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - On the note of soundtracks, here is the Stallone COBRA one. I love the Jean Beauvoir track feel the heat. It really packs some heat, cheesy yes, but it has a real good 80s 'getting ready for the gym' vibe.

Discogs - Pointer Sisters - Happiness - I found the 12 inch version! According to the discogs link this track was featured on Donnie Brasco? I can't remember that. I guess I will have to watch Donnie Brasco on the weekend straight after Bladerunner.

No comments:

Post a Comment